On the southwestern shore of Lake Orestidos, near the village Dispilio of Kastoria lies the archaeological site "The Island", where a group of Neolithic farmers, herders and fishermen settled 7500 years ago. The group stayed in that location for more than 2500 years.
The archaeological site became known in 1932 when the archaeologist Antonios Keramopoullos collected finds that he correctly attributed to the Neolithic Age.
The systematic excavation, research and study of the lake Neolithic settlement started in 1992 by the Professor of Prehistoric Archeology of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki G. CH. Chourmouziadis (1932-2013).
Since 2014, Professor of Prehistoric Archeology Kostas Kotsakis of Aristotle University has continued the research.